If you’re done using Fairphone Open, you can always go back to Fairphone OS.
If you switch to Fairphone OS, all your data (including apps, messages and pictures) will be erased. Make sure to backup first! Be aware that this process will install our latest Android 5 release, namely 1.13.0. Once you complete the installation wizard and connect to a WiFi network, the Updater app will prompt you to update the phone to the current Android 6 release.
Method 1: Using Fairphone Updater¶
This is the easiest way to go back to Fairphone OS. Make sure you are connected to a Wi-Fi network before you start.
- Open the Updater app.
- Tap ‘Enter advanced mode’.
- Tap ‘Android for Fairphone’.
- Tap ‘Fairphone OS 1.8.1’.
- Tap ‘Install’.
- Tap the checkbox to tick it and press OK. Fairphone OS will now be downloaded.
- Tap ‘Restart’ to continue. The phone will now reboot and install Fairphone OS.
Method 2: Manually installing the OTA package¶
This method is for advanced users only. It requires adb, so make sure you have it installed on your system.
- Download the OTA update package.
- Boot your phone into recovery mode (hold the Volume Up button while you power on the phone).
- Connect the phone to a computer using a USB cable.
- Wait until there are 8 grey buttons on the screen, and the text at the top of the screen reads “Team Win Recovery Project”.
- Tap “Advanced” (bottom left).
- Tap “ADB sideload” (bottom left).
- Tick both of the two boxes at the top (“Wipe Dalvik Cache” and “Wipe Cache”).
- Swipe the slider at the bottom of the screen, from left to right.
- Issue the following command from a shell prompt to start the
adb sideload FP2-gms76-1.13.0-ota_from_open.zip.
- Wait until the progress bar disappears, and tap “Reboot System”.
After the procedure, the system will reboot into Fairphone OS.