This guide describes the installation of Fairphone Open from the stock Fairphone OS.
If you switch to Fairphone Open, all your data (including apps, messages and pictures) will be erased. Make sure to backup first!
Fairphone Open does not include Google Mobile Services, and thus no app store. We recommend to explore alternatives like F-Droid, which contains free and open source software.
Method 1: Using the OTA package¶
This is the easiest way to install Fairphone Open.
- Download the latest version from the release download page) onto your phone.
- Use Amaze file manager to navigate to your download folder and tap the file to start the installation procedure.
- If Amaze asks you with which app to open the file, choose Updater.
- If Amaze is configured to automatically open ZIP files, then you will see the contents of the file.
- Go back to where the file you just downloaded is located.
- Tap and hold your finger on the file to select it.
- Use the options button (the three dots in the upper right corner) and select ‘Open with’, then select Updater.
- Fairphone Updater will process the file and ask you to restart your phone to complete the installation.
- Tap ‘Restart’ to continue. The phone will now reboot and install Fairphone Open.
Alternatively, you can download the required file onto your computer and transfer it to your phone using a USB cable or a file synchronising service. Then use Amaze file manager to navigate to the directory to which you saved the file and tap it to start the installation procedure as explained above.
Method 2: Manual installation (using fastboot)¶
This method is for advanced users only. It requires fastboot, so make sure you have it installed on your system.
- Download the manual update package.
- Extract the manual update package by running
- Boot your phone into fastboot mode (hold the Volume Down button while you power on the phone).
- Connect the phone to a computer using a USB cable.
- Issue the following command from a console to start the installation:
When the installation finishes, the phone will reboot itself into Fairphone Open.