Fairphone Open 21.03.0-rel.2 release¶
Fairphone Open 21.03.0-rel.2 is publicly available now. After two beta versions, this is the first public release of Fairphone Open based on Android 9.
Changes from the previous Fairphone Open release (19.11.2).
- General Android 9 improvements
- Preload the F-Droid app
- Drop Firefox Klar, because it is no longer updated by F-Droid. Use the preloaded F-Droid store to install a browser of your choice.
- Update Chromium WebView to version 89.0.4389.108
- Preload UnifiedNlp from F-Droid. It is available in the system settings: Security & Location > Location > Advanced > UnifiedNlp Settings.
Please report any (new) issues through the public issue tracker. As usual, please specify the steps to reproduce, and provide as many details as possible.
You can choose between two ways of updating. Either way works equally well:
- Over the Air (OTA) Update
- Manual installation
OTA update (with the Updater)¶
- Make sure you are on the latest Android 7 release (19.11.2);
- Install Fairphone Open 21.03.0-rel.2 through the Updater. This is the upgrade to Android 9.
Note regarding Android 7 19.12.0 beta versions: We currently don’t provide OTA updates for the last Android 7 beta versions. If you want to update from one of these versions, please first enable all SIM cards in your phone and then follow the manual installation steps. In Android 9, we do not (yet) have the dual SIM toggles available that were reintroduced in the 19.12.0 betas.
Manual installation (with fastboot)¶
- Download the manual installation archive for Fairphone Open 21.03.0-rel.2
- Extract the archive;
- Turn your phone off;
- Connect your Fairphone 2 in fastboot mode;
- Execute the flashing script:
flash-for-mac.commandon macOS, and
- Press Enter once the Fairphone 2 has been flashed and let the system boot up.